John 15:20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
We don’t want to be the bearers of bad memories, but it’s good to realize how dedicated to the Lord the early believers were. They (Martyrs of Jesus Christ) weren’t in it for the terrific single’s fellowship, the excellent children’s program or good messages on Sunday morning. They weren’t in it for the comfortable new pews, the beautiful Christmas pageants or the potluck dinners.
1. When Peter was sentenced to be crucified at Rome, he was crucified with his body upside down at his request.
2. Andrew was nailed to a trace at Edessa. He hung on the tree for two days in pain. On the third day he died still preaching Jesus.
3. Jacob (son of Zebedee) was killed by the sword of Herod in Jerusalem.
4. John was put into boiling oil at Jerusalem. But as he was not harmed he was exiled to Patmose Island. Later he died at Ephesus.
5. Philip was hanged from a pillar at Hiropolis.
6. Bartholomew was burnt to death by the Armenian king.
7. Mathew was killed in a toen in Ethiopia.
8. Thomas was speared to death at Mylapur near Chennai in India.
9. Jacob (small Jacob, son of Alphaeus) was pushed down from the top of a temple and then beaten to death by a club.
10. Jude (Thaddaeus) was put to death by an arrow at the town of Oruch .
11. Simon, the Zealot was crucified in Persia.
12. Mathias was beheaded after stoning him down.
13. Paul was beheaded by Ceaser Nero in Rome.
14. Mark was dragged along the main street of Alexandria in Egypt and died.
15. Luke was hanged on a big olive tree in Greece.
16. Barnabas was stoned to death at Salemis.
For more information on this subject: